free website hit counter
Eden Bradley Erotica

Tuesday, August 22, 2006
This and that...
I haven't blogged for a while because A) I wanted the news about Crystal Jordan's Full Swing to stay up for a while, and B) nothing very exciting has happend around here lately, so why blather on to my blog readers when you can be bored to death without coming here to read my blog?
So, blathering anyway...
I've just been working away on Love & Discipline, the last of the three novellas for my Bantam anthology, due September 1st-and yes, I'm very much aware that my deadline is in ten days and I am not done yet! But it's moving along pretty well. This story is a lot darker than I intended for it to be, but I go where my characters lead me. Damien and Maggie have decided that they are both emotionally damaged people with issues and secrets, so that's the way it's going. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to effectively write Damien-he's a bit older than the male characters I usually write, very sophisticated, wealthy, but I'm really falling in love with him and am finally getting into his head. Under all that smooth, elegant exterior he's human, just as we all are. I love discovering my characters this way. I have about 9,000 words to go. I should be able to do that in a week, then will have a little time to edit and polish. My cp's already have the first 70 pages, so they are working on it, too, thank goodness! I can't send anything out the door until they've both looked at it!
Let me just plug critique partners in general for a moment here. My cp's have been invaluable to me. I know some writers who are too independant to allow anyone else to have that much input on their work, but I just think none of us can be that objective about our own writing. My cp's catch typos, passive phrasing, inconsistencies, things I can't see because I'm too close to the story. I was lucky-my first cp, Gemma Halliday, and I were a great match from the start, and we're still together over five years later. We write different genres now (she writes chick lit), but it doesn't matter. She knows my voice like no one else. My second cp, Jennifer Colgan, I've been working with for about a year. I love her writing and admire her so much. One important aspect about both my cp's is that we have similar critiquing styles and they are all respectful of my writing voice, as I am of theirs. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the cp who works for you, but it's well worth the search!
Gemma Halliday's first book, Spying in High Heels, came out earlier this month and I'm so excited for her! This book is hilarious! I can't until her next book comes out. I can't say anything about it except that I think it's even funnier than the first-and I mean laugh out loud, practically wetting my pants funny! I know I've given her website out before, but seriously, you must go take a look:http://www.gemmahalliday.com/
While you're there, check out her book trailer!
Jennifer Colgan has so many books available right now, you'll just have to go to her website to browse: www.jennifercolgan.com
Can I play favorites? Her newest release, The Soul Jar, is awesome! A deeply emotional story and the writing is stellar! Available now at New Concepts Publishing.
Okay, okay, I'm getting back to work!
Eden
posted by Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin at 10:49 AM -
4 Comments:
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Zinnia said…

    It's essential that every writer have a good critique partner, but writers need to keep an open mind about their writing too.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Karen Erickson said…

    I agree about cp's - they are sooo important and you don't have to even be writing in the same genres. I can't be objective to my writing. Sometimes I'm too hard on myself and sometimes I'm too easy. I need someone to balance that and tell me where I'm going right or wrong.

    Thank goodness for my critique partners...

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Sarah Palmero said…

    I like discovering my characters too. Sometimes you love their surprises, sometimes you don't.

    Write like the wind!

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Miranda Heart said…

    Looks like you're on a roll. You're a writer that others look to with your motivation and professionalism. Great job and keep up the good work!

     
Post a Comment

About Me
Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin
Los Angeles, CA, United States

See my profile...

Links

Friends

Previous Post

Archives

Credits


Web design by Amberwing Design