free website hit counter
Eden Bradley Erotica

Monday, March 19, 2007
It's Art Day!



Today I want to talk about Art Nouveau artist, Alphonse Mucha, whose artwork decorates my blog header.
A favorite artist back when I was a teen in the 70's, I had several posters with his work on my walls, including the piece below. I loved it so much, I hung onto it even after it was starting to crumble and fall apart.
Mucha, 1860-1939, was a Czech artist whose work really set the style for Art Nouveau posters. His subject is most often the female figure; soft, sinuous lines, draped fabrics, flowers, lovely, feminine faces. I know the 'prettiness' of his work makes it more obvious than other kinds of art, and while I love the grittiness of modern black and white photography, even when the subject matter is unattractive or even frighteneing, there is something soothing about the pure beauty of Mucha's art.
Mucha went to Paris in 1887, and at one time shared an apartment with the Impressionist, Gauguin. One of thousands of starving artists in Paris at that time, Mucha finally found success and established his lush style when he created a poster for Sarah Bernhardt, for her play Gismonda, in 1894. He went on to design posters for Moet and Chandon, as well as stage sets, and even costumes for Bernhardt. He was eventually invited to design one of the Pavillion's at the World's Fair in Paris in 1900, and published the Documents Decoratifs, in order to pass his theories and techniques on to future generations of artists, who wasted no time in imitating his popular style.

Last year while cruising the Internet looking at art (a favorite past time) I came upon a series of old postcards featuring Mucha's work. I went crazy over these, searching out and saving every one I could find. I love the old handwriting and the postage stamps, the history of them, every bit as much as I love the artwork. One of these images eventually became the header for my blog- thank you, Jax!
Mucha was an incredibly prolific artist, and there's an abundance of his work to be found on the Internet, each piece more beautiful than the last. I've hardly done him justice here, so go look for yourselves, and enjoy!



posted by Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin at 4:39 PM -
14 Comments:
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Two Voices Publishing said…

    Gorgeous! I'm always impressed by detail work. It takes such dedication to create like that.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said…

    Hmm... I thought I've seen this work in the Art Nouveau tarot deck.

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger Keziah Hill said…

    Beautiful Eden. I love Art Nouveau.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely lovely.

    THanks for his name. I was wondering where you got the art on your site.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger R.G. ALEXANDER said…

    Beautiful! Keep it coming-just gorgeous!

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Kate Willoughby said…

    Art nouveau was a great period. Makes me want to put on a fluttery dress and get my hair bobbed. :)

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    Seeley-the artwork on my website actually comes from several neo-classical artists-only the piece on my blog is Mucha. But I go crazy over the neo-classical painters, too!
    I'm glad people seem to be enjoying art day on my blog. I'm such an art geek-there's so much to look at and admire. It's nearly impossible for me to choose just a few pieces at a time.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Jax Cassidy said…

    You know I love the art! Great way to make your blog even more interesting than it is...good for you!

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Karen Erickson said…

    Beautiful pictures. I love Art Day - what a great idea!

    :)

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Sela Carsen said…

    Those are so beautiful! I love Art Nouveau as well. The level of detail, the balance. Just lovely.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    Ooh-thanks Seeley! Very cool. I'll have to show this to Jax-she's coming over today.

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Babe King said…

    Hun, I'm looking at websites at the mo and I just have to say that yours is the most beautiful site I've come across so far. It's just gorgeous- classy, elegant - well done.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    Ohmygosh-thank you, Babe! I do love it!
    When I went to Jax to design my site, I had a vision in my head-I knew I wanted soothing, neutral colors, like old parchment, and I knew I wanted neo-classical paintings, aged in some way. Jax totally understood my vision and brought it to life in exactly the way I wanted, but better than I'd ever imagined.
    It's nice to know other people appreciate it, too. :)

     
Post a Comment

About Me
Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin
Los Angeles, CA, United States

See my profile...

Links

Friends

Previous Post

Archives

Credits


Web design by Amberwing Design