free website hit counter
Eden Bradley Erotica

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Guest blogger Kalen Hughes!
I'm still celebrating the release of my tattoo novella, THE ART OF DESIRE, in the new Bantam anthology, HOT NIGHTS, DARK DESIRES, with guest authors blogging about their own tattoo experiences!
My guest author today is award-winning Zebra historical author, Kalen Hughes!

When Eden emailed me about being featured as an “inked author” I jumped at the chance. I love talking about my tattoos. A bit of background: I got my first tattoo when I was 25. It was a triangular modern primitive piece that hung between my shoulder blades. It was done by Patrick Conlon, who’s become something of a name . . . a few years later I was ready to expand it. Pat and I took it from its smallish beginnings to something simply amazing that spans my back from nape to waist (the painting shown here is of my back). A year or so later Pat and I added my bracelet. The backpiece is easily missed, for all it’s massive size. I wanted something I could see, something that was a little more public.
For me, being tattooed is about making a statement of tribal association. Much like the tattoos of the Japanese Yakuzi. The tattoo both claims a place in the specific society, and declares one’s commitment to it, as well as sets one apart from the mainstream, declaring one once and for all a part of the “other”.
In my other life I’m an award winning poet (how’s that for a secret?). I think this narrative poem says it best:

The Body as Fact

The burning question of our generation is not what car to buy. And it’s not what soda to drink (though historians will view commercials, and tell you differently). The question is what to do with the instincts we posses when they are no longer useful: We exist, we love, bound up in want need pheromone induced spark lust love at first sight call it what you will crap. Psychoanalysis occurs because we're out of touch, need someone else to tell us what's going on in our ids. Our common answer is a return to the primitive. A return to the body
as art, the body as artifact, the body as fact. Expression becomes a form of body language, or maybe its the other way round. Septum, cock, lobe, hood, the places we pierce with rings and bars and bones trip off the tongue (which also gets pierced, dumbbells of varying gages clicking when we kiss). We add tattoos: Black geometric shapes, the occasional natural curve
or coloured enhancement. Patterns not seen in generations (except in faded paintings and dusty daguerreotypes) stretch themselves around biceps, slide across pectorals and cleave to shoulder blades. A parade goes past each day . . . Maori, Iroquois, Huron, Ibo, Iniut, Aztec.
See it on Haight, Telegraph, in Sidney , Grenich, Venice , Soho, in Harlem, Paris , Watts .
Ritual scarification, branding, you name it: Body as art, the body a canvas, our rituals open to the public: No hidden treatises, no papal summit to decide what’s what: An endorphin baptismal . . . mark yourself with the mark of Cain, the mark of the believer, the mark of the unbeliever. Self‑mutilation, self‑love, self-glorification. All together and at once tribal affiliations are becoming necessary—we’re bound together in hate, in joy, in apathy, in nihilism, in love. The instincts are intact . . . our biological hearts are more than ticking: Pounding in time under the streetlights as we pass.
-Kalen Hughes

Kalen’s debut novel, LORD SIN, was a Romantic Times K.I.S.S. award winner as well as a 2008 nominee for their Reviewers’ Choice Awards. Her follow-up novel, LORD SCANDAL, is out June 1st.
Visit Kalen's website for book news and updates, and fascinating info on period costuming!
***
CONTEST!
Anyone who posts here and is new to Kalen's work will be eligible to win a copy of Kalen's debut book, LORD SIN! Check back on May 30th to see if you've won!
posted by Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin at 12:42 PM -
14 Comments:
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Crystal Jordan said…

    I love the painting of your back tat, Kalen! Very cool.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love the painting too! It was done by a good friend of mine who's a professional illustrator and painter. It was part of a series called SIREN. For some reason all the others sold, but this one (my favorite) didn’t. She ended up giving it to me for my birthday so now it hangs in my living room (yes, it’s very narcissistic of me *shrug*).

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    I am SO in love with that painting! And now I'm dying to see your amazing tattoo work in person!

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The painting is really pretty. I bet it looks even better on your person!

    Okay, I'm one of those people that has like, twenty spots I want tattooed--and the wrist is one of them. Can I be incredibly tacky and ask how bad it hurt?

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    the painting is gorgeous-I didn't know you had all that on your back!
    Will have to take a peek this year!

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger P. Robinson said…

    What a great tattoo! I love hearing stories behind tattoos and the pictures were just an added bonus.Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new release!

    Kissa Starling

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Seeley deBorn said…

    To have a tattoo that grew with you and the artist...lovely.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger J said…

    I'm new to Kalen's work. Interesting take on tattoos. I can't help think you were meant to own the painting!

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger acdaisy95 said…

    Nice painting!
    I am new to Kalen's work. Congrats on your upcoming book debut.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Adriana said…

    What stunning tattoos, and I love the painting, too. Congrats on the new release!

    Adriana

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger azteclady said…

    *waving* Hi there, Kalen!

    That's one amazing art on your back--wow! And a beautiful painting :grin:

    Please don't enter me in the drawing, as I already have Lord Sin.

    Best luck with your release, Kalen!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger ReadingIsSoMuchFun said…

    WoW! What a beautiful painting love it. WooHoo! Congratulations on The Art Of Desire.

    I would love to be enter in the drawing thank you. *waves* Hi Kalen your book sounds great :)

    Hugssss
    LindaH

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Lanie: The inside of the wrist hurt. The skin there is very thin, and that makes it a more painful spot (thin skin or bone close to the surface both hurt more than fleay spots; OMG did it hurt when he hit my shoulder blades!).

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Caffey said…

    So sorry I missed this post earlier.
    I so loved LORD SIN, its on my keepers shelf. I'm all excited about LORD SCANDAL!!!

    Love the pic, so beautiful a pic up in your home.

    I hope to get a little celtic tatoo on my ankle area. I put it off long enough!

     
Post a Comment

About Me
Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin
Los Angeles, CA, United States

See my profile...

Links

Friends

Previous Post

Archives

Credits


Web design by Amberwing Design