free website hit counter
Eden Bradley Erotica

Thursday, September 03, 2009
Catching up...
So, once again I've been a terrible blogger-bad, bad Eden! But I've been very busy writing, and I've just finished my first erotic novel for Harlequin Spice. I loved writing this book! It's written in first person, which I love. I feel it really draws the reader right into the character's head. And this one has an ensemble cast, so it has a very women's fiction feel to it. Currently titled THE LOVERS, (although my editor tells me that will change), this is a story about a group of writers who meet at one members' house on the Santa Barbara coast for a yearly writing retreat. Bettina is shy, a bit of a recluse, so spending an entire summer with people she knows only over the Internet is a challenge for her. She's a complicated person with some troubling issues-my favorite sort of person to write about. Once there she meets Audrey and Jack, and a complex and unexpected love triangle ensues. But I think one of my favorite characters is Viviane, who owns the house. She's a widowed, 40-something ex-punk rock singer who writes dark romance novels, and I may have to write her story someday.

Meanwhile, this week I've started PLEASURE'S EDGE, my first full length novel for Berkley Heat, which will be the debut of my new pen name. I'll be writing as Eve Berlin exclusively for Berkley. PLEASURE'S EDGE is a BDSM erotic romance, which I always love to write. It takes place in Seattle, one of my favorite cities. Seattle is such a great food town, and there's some great architecture there. And something about the gray weather is so moody and lovely...I've opened the book at the Asian Art museum, which is incredibly beautiful and has an amazing collection. You must stop by if you're ever in Seattle, especially if you're an art lover like me.

I know I haven't kept up here, but I have been blogging over at The Smutketeers, the group blog I share with Crystal Jordan, Lilli Feisty and RG Alexander. We've been doing lots of interviews lately, including author KB Alan, agents Lucienne Diver and Deirdre Knight, and RG did a hysterical interview with herself when the rest of us were away. If you haven't visited The Smutketeers you really must drop by-the blog design, by the fabulous Croco, is gorgeous, and we have a steampunk photo gallery. We're hoping to shoot some new pics when we all see each other at the Romantic Times Convention next spring. I think we'll be doing post-apocalyptic costumes this time, to promote the continuity stories we're writing for Samhain, The Wasteland Series, which will be out early in 2010.
Lots going on-must go write! But since you're here, maybe you can tell me if you enjoy first person stories. People seem to have very strong opinions about this, one way or the other. I think it can bring the reader into the character's head in a way that isn't possible otherwise, and can be especially helpful with a difficult character who may be hard to sympathize with. I love to read it (when it's done well), love to write it, and my Spice editor loves first person, luckily, but what do you think?
posted by Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin at 10:12 AM -
13 Comments:
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tara S Nichols said…

    Personally, I love first person erotica. It draws me in and creates a vivid scene, but when I'm writing in more than one POV I have learned third person is easier.

    Looking forward to your books.

    -Tara

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said…

    I love writing first person. It just comes naturally to me. Even when I write in third person I limit it to one character. Personally I find it allows me to create a richer story. That close focus sharpens my pen, as it were.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    I do only write in one character's POV when writing first person-it's limiting, which makes it more of a challenge to develop other characters, but I enjoy that challenge-to make the reader see the other people through your POV character's eyes.
    I love this:
    'That close focus sharpens my pen, as it were.'
    Awesome!

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Felicia Holt said…

    I love first person. Like you say, it draws me in more. I also prefer writing it - but I don't because many seem to have a problem with it.

    For my next project, I actually do consider giving first person, double POV, a shot. I wonder if I could pull it off?

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Greta said…

    You've changed my mind of first person POV with Valentine's story. Until then I was strictly a third person POV reader.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Panda said…

    I've not read any first-person erotic romances yet, but I have read first-person contemporary and historical romances. Some, I enjoyed, and some, not so much. I prefer third-person when writing because I like exploring both sides of the H/H relationship.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    Aw-thank you, Greta! I loved writing A 21st Century Courtesan-I think I just love to write 1st person, since I just finished another one and loved it, too.
    Flicka-I've read and enjoyed some multiple 1st person POV books. 'Sleeping Over' by Stacey Ballis (chick lit novel) is an excellent example.

     
  • At 3:36 AM, Blogger Jeannie Lin said…

    I enjoy first person as well, and I think it works well for erotica/erotic romance. But if a writer is using first person, I really expect them really use it to get me deep into the character's psyche.

    And I loved "Courtesan" as well!

     
  • At 3:57 AM, Blogger Natasha Moore said…

    I like first person, erotica or not. I think some stories just need to be told that way. There's an intimacy there that you really can't get any other way.

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Anonymous klara kline said…

    In my current ms my antagonist is done in first person. The rest is third person. first person is a challenge that I am enjoying and it does deepen my character. I tried to write him in third but he refused LOL

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    Thank you, Jeannie! :)
    Natasha-totally agree about that level of intimacy in first person.
    Klara-I've never done first person and third in the same story, although I have seen it done-challenging!

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Stephanie Adkins said…

    I love reading stories told in the first person POV. It just feels more intimate, in my opinion. I haven't written from that POV yet, but I hope to someday soon. Congratulations on the new novel, Eden! I wish you a ton of sales! *HUGS*

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Jennifer Bianco said…

    Oooh, The Lovers sounds awesome. I too love first person, and I know how much you adore women's fiction. I can't wait until it comes out. :)

     
Post a Comment

About Me
Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin
Los Angeles, CA, United States

See my profile...

Links

Friends

Previous Post

Archives

Credits


Web design by Amberwing Design